This section describes product changes, along with new features and functionality for InsightEdge Platform and GigaSpaces release 14.2.
AnalyticsXtreme to Accelerate Your Data Lake
GigaSpaces's new AnalyticsXtreme feature for the InsightEdge Platform improves on the traditional Lambda architecture to enable much faster querying of both real-time and historical data, and simplifies business application development by providing a single API for accessing data. Functionality includes:
- Data life cycle management for moving data from the data grid to external data storage as it ages.
- InsightEdge JDBC interpreter and driver for querying data from both the speed layer (data grid) and the batch layer (external data storage).
- Out-of-the-box support for data formats such as Apache Parquet and Avro.
- Support for SQL, Spark, and JDBC queries.
Support for Apache Spark Version 2.4.0
Release 14.2 includes an upgrade to Apache Spark 2.4.0, which provides the following benefits:
- Scala 2.12 experimental support - Now you can build Spark with Scala 2.12 and write Spark applications in Scala 2.12.
- Apache Avro as a built-in data source - Inline Spark-Avro package with logical type support, better performance and usability.
- Spark datasource for image format - added image reading support in the Spark source API.
The upgrade to Apache Spark 2.4.0 also provides the following Kubernetes-related enhancements:
- PySpark and R bindings - Docker images to include Python Support.
- Client mode support within Spark when running in the Kubernetes cluster back end.
- Support for mounting the volume in the Spark driver and executor pods in Kubernetes.
GigaSpaces Products Now Available with Red Hat OpenShift
InsightEdge and XAP are now Red Hat-certified containers, available in the official Red Hat registry. Customers can easily download InsightEdge and XAP container images to create, test, and run applications. and deploy them to the target platform.
Look for our GigaSpaces products in the Red Hat Container Catalog.
Third-Party Product Changes
- Apache Spark has been upgraded to 2.4.0
- Apache Zeppelin has been upgraded to 0.8.1
- Apache Zookeeper has been upgraded to 3.4.13
- Hibernate has been upgraded to 5.1.17
Additionally, XAP.NET no longer includes a bundled Java distribution.
Deprecated and End-Of-Life Features and Functionality
There are no end-of-life or deprecated features in this release.